Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Book Review: Dark Winter by David Mark

by Carol Thomas

Dark Winter was on my kindle recommended list. It had a lot of rave reviews, had a high sales rank position, it was a genre I loved, had a convincing synopsis and was only 20p. It was screaming at me to buy it.

It started off strongly. It is the first of a series about DS Aector Mcavoy.  I was so excited by the first few chapters that I told the author via Twitter that I was enjoying the book.
Soon doubt started to creep in.

The book is written in present tense which I found confusing. Reading something like “Mcavoy shakes his head frantically,” doesn’t work for me. It is a hard tense to write and I don’t think David pulled it off.
Another thing that started to become annoying was the level of swearing. I am not against swearing in novels if it is necessary, and I am aware that police officers might actually swear a lot but I think the author might have got a little carried away. The female boss was also a very clichéd character, portrayed as a man-eater.

I really wanted to love the book; it had been a while since I had read anything that had blown me away but I only managed to get half-way through before I gave up on it.  
Mark David seems to be doing very well with this book, and the reviews show that there are loads of people who love it, including some famous Authors.

Maybe it was just me being fussy!

2 comments:

  1. Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

    My web-site ... cardsharing news

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with valuable info to work on. You have done an impressive job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

    my site: description

    ReplyDelete