Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

The Book Signing

by Hellen Riebold


A couple of weeks ago, some of us were privileged enough to take part in the book signing for The Other Way Is Essex at Chelmsford library. As a veteran of many lonely information stalls in various shops, libraries and fairs I was a little apprehensive, before-hand, that I would be sat watching the tumbleweed fly by, wishing I’d brought my knitting to do.  How wrong I was. I had such a brilliant time I even felt inspired to write a poem about my experiences. Please forgive the artistic licence and I hope you enjoy it.
 
The Book Signing
 
Sitting here, staring out
Watching people mill about.
I see them as they scurry by
Trying not to catch my eye.
I fiddle with my pad and pen
Trying not to look, and then,
“Excuse me, will you sign my book?”
 
The tension broken, battle commences
With pen-swords and table fences.
To Gill, Marie, Steve and Fred,
Each one a marvel in my head.
Their money spent, curiosity smitten,
They want to read what I have written.
They want to see inside my head,
To visit places filled with dread.
So I smile and sign my name
A hundred times, each one the same.
Next time I look up from this flock
And steal a glance at the clock
Three hours have passed, it’s time to flee
To go right back to being me,
To pass those people on the street
Who queue in hopes that they might meet
This author with her brand new book
Who now deserves no second look.
I smile, I have enjoyed this game
Of fleeting, ephemeral, temporary, fame.
Oh look, I said three things that mean the same.

 

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant poem Hellen!

    One thing though - the last line is a little too long. I would cut out 'I said' to make it fit the rest better.

    I'm glad the signing was so inspirational to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Hellen! Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it! Rhyming couplets - just my mark. Might have written new line for 'Oh look' and 'I...'because I use a lot of new lines and I read it with a longish gap there. Think the break in the rhythm is good as it lets us out of 'signing mode' back into the real world and I can hear you sighing and putting your pen down. Margo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hі there tο еνery body, it's my first pay a quick visit of this webpage; this website consists of amazing and in fact good material for visitors.

    My blog post - quick loans

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, і think that i sаw yоu visited my web site so і cаme
    to “rеturn the faνor”.I'm attempting to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    Also visit my webpage - loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first thing they cleared with me was that I wouldn't receive any calls to my personal phone number. Most shift workers who have been on the job for several years will complain of noise and interrupted sleep. Another viable option is to have your lender alter your mortgage by extending the repayment period.

    My blog post ... Telefonsex
    Also see my web site :: Telefonsex

    ReplyDelete
  7. If your circumstance is due to bacterial infection, in the marketplace of vaporizers and thence the postulate is growing chop-chop in no meter.
    Normally vapes fall with a insure of some 2 this can't come about in other towns. So, Thither is Ryan R-Wis. While inhaling hemp pot hasn't been proved to drive any good, permanent harm to conventional scales: 1.
    It does not use hotness to be taking incontrovertible steps to a fitter lifetime.
    hotness it up isn't grass in the bag it is vapor, which is a altogether dissimilar.

    My web page - vaporizer

    ReplyDelete