Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Time Turner

by Maria Johnson

New Year, New Resolutions.

 
I have never managed to stick to my resolutions for more than a couple of weeks. So I kept it simple this year. I resolved to edit a minimum of one paragraph a day, so I could keep it even on such boozy days as New Year, Christmas and my birthday. So far I haven’t failed, but I have struggled.

 
I have been unemployed for a long time, and therefore have had plenty of time to work on editing etc. I have recently got a new job, and have found it extremely tiring. I get home, eat dinner, and all I want to do is watch a little TV before collapsing in bed ready for another early morning.

 
Under such conditions, trying to keep to my resolutions is difficult. Before bed, you are supposed to calm your mind, and editing is the exact opposite. But I tend to find myself trying to edit while watching TV in the evenings. At times, I found myself wishing I was in a novel – Harry Potter. I wish I was Hermione Granger, with access to a Time Turner so I could relive my days and be able to accord due time to editing.

 
How do you balance work, a second job (editing), and still have time to relax?
 

If any of you know how to do this, without missing any sleep, please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I spent all the years I was raising my children wishing for more time to write, as I would get home from work and immediately be in crisis mode for homework, or band, or some other darned thing. It was always something, but at least I didn't have editing as you do to keep me awake. I did become the home-made burrito queen, as you can take a burrito anywhere and children can eat them in the car between band practice and the girl/boy scout meeting!(Although they may grumble and ask "Why can't we eat at McDonalds like normal people?")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new job, Maria! I would say, just go with the flow at the moment and don't be too hard on yourself. It takes a while for the mind and body to adjust to new situations and I'm sure once you're in a routine and the days become longer and warmer you'll find you're not so tired and can get back to editing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete