Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Deadlines

"I love deadlines. Especially the whooshing sound they make as they pass by."

                                                                       Douglas Adams


Descartes once said, “I think therefore I am.” I couldn’t agree more. Except to add “ I procrastinate therefore I am a writer.” According to Wikipedia, procrastination refers to the act of replacing high-priority actions with tasks of lower priority. According to Freud, this is all due to the pleasure principle. Pleasure principle? What’s that you ask? The pleasure principle is a psychoanalytical concept, which describes how people will seek pleasure and avoid suffering to satisfy their biological and psychological needs. The act of writing certainly satisfies my inner needs as does reading. The two go hand in hand. 

Right now, my own procrastination refers to the act of sitting on a sofa glued to the Olympics. Whether this provides me with pleasure rather than pain varies according to the event. Furthermore, with my innate genius for time management, I have committed myself to August Camp Nanowrimo, a writebulb blog and started studying for a science fiction and fantasy course. All this in a month when I am supposed to be on holiday. What was I thinking of?

                Well, I was thinking of myself.  I don’t know about you, but I work so much better under pressure.  I keep a writer’s journal and sometimes I have a really good day. Characters and ideas appear very quickly. I feel as if I have to write them down at once or they will be lost forever. Then there are times when my mind goes blank. Totally and utterly blank. Even writing the letters of the alphabet seems like an impossible task. The daily grind of Camp Nanowrimo forces me to kill my inner critic and just write.  Deadlines?  I love them. Don’t you?


Brilliant Tasha! And how many of us feel right now - glued to the Olympics.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean - I am the master of displacement activity. On the other hand they always say 'the more you do the more yiou can do'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self-confessed procrastinator, here! :)

    ReplyDelete