Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Why I love writing

Today Carol has chosen to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard rather).

There are many reasons why I love writing. Here are some of them.
My personal favourite! If someone really annoys you, you can do something really nasty to them in your story. My neighbour at my last home was a bit of a cow and I murdered her several times in my books. One of them made its way into my Thriller I am editing at the moment. It was very therapeutic, but I will have to change some details in the final draft.

I am never lonely or bored. I always have someone with me even if they are imaginary. I love being on my own, to have time to think uninterrupted.
If something bad has happened to you, you can write about it. Release the demons!

If you watch something on TV or read a book that has a rubbish ending you can change it.
You can write anywhere, all you really need is a pen and paper.

There are some negative things about being a writer.
You don`t read a book in the same way as non-writers. You are always on the lookout for something to borrow. Also you notice others mistakes, which interrupts the flow of the story. Part of me misses the days when my grammar was even worse than it is now! At least then I didn`t notice when writers used the wrong word.

It is hard work! There are so many great Authors out there, it can be daunting sometimes. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the days when I wrote only for myself. But I want to be published too, so I will have to just work hard.
It is hard for others to understand that when you are just staring into space, you are not actually just staring into space. My mother-in-law keeps asking me if I need something to read, or do I want to play a game, when I am at her house. The trick is to hold a book in my hand so it looks like I am reading.

Thanks Carol! Now we know what to do when people think we're staring into space!

1 comment:

  1. Having imaginary conversations with imaginary people in your head - perfectly normal for a writer!

    ReplyDelete