Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

SUSU Scribblers

When I first arrived at the University of Southampton, I was delighted to see that they had a wide range of societies to join. There wasn't however, one that nurtured creative writing. Once I'd got over my disappointment, I decided to create my own, http://www.facebook.com/groups/SUSU.Scribblers/

At first I emailed the whole of Year 1 English students to let them know about my idea, and was glad to receive lots of positive replies. I created the Facebook group, emailed the whole of the Humanities department to publicise the society and created lots of colourful posters, which I stuck up around the University.

The society now has a fairly large group which meet every week in a room that I booked in the Nuffield Theatre. Every week we have a set theme, to which we all write a small piece on and upload as a document onto the Facebook group.

We can all then comment on what they've written to both critique and support the writer. We've just had a creative writing competition between ourselves (for which I am the judge since I am the president) and are planning to hold another one for the local schools. We also have plans to publish an anthology in the future and are in the process of creating a website for the group.
Imogen Carr

1 comment:

  1. Wow Imogen! You've achieved such a lot in such a short space of time. I really love the way you decided to set up your own group after just arriving at university - you go girl!

    ReplyDelete