Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Do People 'Get' You As A Writer?

A few days ago I was lucky enough to model for a number of wedding photographers. My 'bride' and I were the funky couple, eschewing traditional wedding attire for a funkier edge.

Since the day of the shoot, the photographers have been posting their images online and one of them said to me today "I've never had to post alongside another [photographer] before."

Reading between the lines I know exactly what they were thinking - What if people don't like my photos as much as the others?

I feel exactly the same way about my writing. I'm submitting a M/M Romance story to an anthology to be published via Goodreads. I'm petrified. I'm up against some well-established authors and my work will be sitting side-by-side with theirs. What if people don't get my story?

To try and calm my nerves I keep telling myself that some people will get me and some just won't. There's nothing I can do about those that don't. If I'm vanilla ice-cream, I can't make my chocolate just to satisfy other people.

I am who I am. My writing is what it is. Sure, I can improve my technique and polish my voice but by voice remains.

Fundamentally, I can't change who I am. I just am.

So here are some pictures of me, taken by different photographers with different approaches. You might like one, you might like both, but I think that they have their own voice... and that's just fine


3 comments:

  1. Love the top picture.

    The whole do you "get" me thing, I think you've pretty much got it summed up nicely. I stopped trying to explain how I think a while ago, and you either hear what I'm saying or you don't.

    I think this is something we all have to come to terms with as writers, and its scary as hell ... but liberating when you truly let your inhibitions go and enjoy the freedom it allows you.

    Good luck with the anthology! I'm gong to snoop that Goodreads group, lol. It's always good to get a new perspective on romance.

    Oh, and, mmm ... ice cream, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Penelope,

    Yes, the M/M Romance group has a LOT going on and I really found like I've found my people - I just expected them to be other gay men and not Texan housewives ;)

    x

    ReplyDelete