Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Confessions of a pantster

Forgive me Reader for I have sinned. It has been five months since my last confession.

I accuse myself of the following sin.

I have committed the mortal sin of pantsting my way through two novels. I know it was wrong but I was taking part in National Novel Writing Month and got carried away. It felt so good that I couldn't help myself. I felt so free!

But when I came to edit those novels I realised that I had characters with the same name, unresolved plot points, and some appalling ideas.

I am sorry for my sins and ask the Muses to forgive these sins as well as any I may have forgotten to confess.

Oh my Reader, I am heartily sorry for having offended you. I detest all my sins because of your just punishments, but most of all because they offend you, my Reader, who are all good and deserving of all my best work. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the occasions of pantsting. Amen.

From this day forwards I will plan my novels. Whether I use models such as The Hero's Journey or Dramatica, or resources like StoryFix or The Creative Penn, I will plan.

2 comments:

  1. Very funny Stu - so you're not taking part in NaNo again this year??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I just might - but I'm going to plan, plan, plan beforehand!

    ReplyDelete