Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Woof!

Pavlov’s dogs – I’m sure you’ve heard of the neurophysiologist Ivan Pavlov who rang a bell every time he fed his dogs. Soon the dogs began to salivate when they heard the bell ring even when there was no food.

Conditioning – one way or another we all experience it.

And I’ll bet you’re wondering where exactly I’m going with this…

Years and years of working in an office composing letters, reports, minutes, etc. has given my writing a certain style that is just so hard to break away from. Everything in my work life is clipped and tidy, given a professional edge. And it’s really annoying when you’re trying to get creative and let go but your conditioning won’t let you – my goodness, my subconscious tells me, eyebrows raised in professional horror, you can’t let that go out looking like that! And so I stop to tidy up my writing, to tweak and twirl it and then lo and behold what happens? Oh yes, surprise, surprise I’ve lost the plot (in more ways than one).


And so I’m going to bed now and maybe it’ll all be better in the morning…

2 comments:

  1. I certainly know what you mean. It's so hard to let go and let the creative side of my mind take over - that's why I found NaNo so liberating. A strange thing seems to be happening to me know - my reports at work are becoming more colourful and dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If sales be the food of profit, sell on! Give me excess of them so that my competitor's shareholder dividend may sicken, and so die.

    ReplyDelete